Friday 16 April 2021

Korean Drama : A Korean Odyssey

Year Released

2017 - 2018

Genre

Romance, Fantasy, Comedy, Horror

No. of Episodes 

20 - running time of 70 minutes per episode

Starring

Lee Seung-gi, Cha Seung-won, Oh Yeon-seo, Lee Hong-gi, Jang Gwang

Storyline

Son Oh-gong (Lee Seung-gi) aka the Monkey King was imprisoned in a magical house by Heaven for his crimes. Woo Ma-wang (Cha Seung-won) has a love-hate relationship with Oh-gong. The duo often bickers like little boys but, deep down inside, they cared for each other a lot.

Jeo Pal-gye (Lee Hong-gi), a pig demon disguising as an idol under Ma-wang's entertainment company. Sa Oh-jeong (Jang Gwang) is a CEO of mobile phone manufacturing company. Oh-jeong treats Oh-gong like his elder brother and respects him very much.

Jin Seon-mi (Oh Yeon-seo) aka Sam-jang owns a real estate company. She deals with haunted buildings at a lower price as she is able to see ghosts since young. Sam-jang once released Oh-gong from being trapped in magical house.

My View

I must admit the horror dramas, especially those written by Hong sisters, are usually extremely frightening. The trailer showing young Jin Seon-mi encountering a ghost in her school freaked me out big time. My heart skipped a beat and I could not move for several seconds.

Most of the ghosts or demons featured in AKO are absolutely scary. I don't even dare to find out what's next.

Cha Seung-won's acting skill is truly superb. I was laughing hysterically whenever he acted up.

I can't think of any other actor apart from Lee Seung-gi for Son Oh-gong's role. He is certainly suitable for it with his "attitude problem" look.  

I'm very satisfied with AKO's ending.

Rating

5/5 Stars

 

No comments:

Post a Comment